Potato Halwa - Quick and unusual dessert

Yes ! It is potato, not sweet potato.

When I first saw about Potato Halwa I had my own apprehensions about it and never gave it a try, but few days back, I was talking with my cousin and she encouraged me to try it and said it will taste awesome. Thanks Brindha !

I was so surprised with the results, it was truly awesome. And a quick dish too. You will not feel the potato taste at all. I would have loved to add a bit of almond essence to it, as it was already fooling me for Badam Halwa. But I did not have it handy.



Ingredients:-
Mashed potato - 1 cup
Sugar - 1 cup
Clarified butter/Ghee - 4 Tbsp
Milk - 1/4 cup
Ghee roasted Cashew/Raisins - few

As I was in a hurry, I preferred Slightly Cooking, mashing the potatoes to Grating and Sauteing to cook directly, but would like to try that way once.
I pressure cooked 2 big potatoes for one whistle.

In a Low flame, add 1 Tbsp of Ghee, add mashed potatoes and fry well. Keep frying this very well for ten to fifteen minutes. More this is done, less the potato taste.
Keep adding Ghee little by little when the mass seems to stick to the bottom.
Add the milk and sugar, continue to saute.
In about 10-15 minutes, the whole mass will thicken to halwa consistency .
Top it with ghee roasted cashews,raisins. Let it set for a while.
Serve.

10 comments:

kittymatti said...

heheeeee, this is fun!!! looks good, easy way to fool ppl! Yeah, as u said, adding badam essence is a great idea.. Even I would prefer steaming and mashing coz its easier! Good one, tell brindha

Vrinda said...

Wow..never thought of making halwa with potatoes,sounds great and yum..

Unknown said...

we used to get this in our office canteen sometimes..i love it..

Parita said...

Wow this is new to me and looks fabulous! I'll a pinch of saffron too...hmm divine!

Priya Suresh said...

I prepared potato halwa long back, looks fabulous!

lissie said...

this halwa sounds awesome...looks really tempting! you have a nice blog!

kittymatti said...

hi sowmya,
this is from my friend Priya...She says, adding garlic gives a lot of flavour to the dish and the traditional recipe involves the use of garlic.
If u r not a garlic user like me, omit garlic from all recipes. I generally dont use it at home so i dont use it in any dish. Even i am planning to try her recipe ...

Suparna said...

hi sowmya,
My first visit here, ur blog seems a pleasant place, shall keep visitng u from now on :)
incredible...coudln't think of a sweet dish from potatoes, seems easy and looks tasty too.

Indian Khana said...

Ahh gud.using potato is nice idea ..my DH made sweet potato halwa the same way...it looks same too :)..just yum

Hari Chandana P said...

Nice idea.. looks very delicious.. lovely click !!